Stevenage Borough Council
Stevenage Borough Council
Key Competitive Attractions
- Including Commercial Property Hertfordshire, Offices Hertfordshire & Business Premises Hertfordshire
Economic growth is a high priority for Stevenage and although recent changes have proved challenging the town remains ambitious about it’s plans for the future as a strategically important employment location in Hertfordshire.
Situated 30 miles north of London on the A1M road, Stevenage boasts excellent transport links and infrastructure. It is on the main East Coast rail line from London to Edinburgh and is only 25 minutes from London`s Kings Cross station and the Eurostar Terminal.
As a result of its great location, Stevenage has attracted a range of companies from world class companies such as GlaxoSmithKline, EADS Astrium and MBDA through to fast growing innovation and technology led start-ups backed by an unrivalled business support network.
Working in partnership with these businesses, Stevenage Borough Council is developing modern environments that will continue to attract employers and investment. A new world class Science Park being developed by GlaxoSmithKline will provide 25 businesses in the bioscience industry with a site to grow and develop, capable of generating up to 1500 skilled jobs. To complement this growth, a major redevelopment of the town centre is planned to provide a vibrant mix of uses and to increase retail opportunities.
Stevenage enjoys strong links between the education and business communities, and the area benefits from excellent primary schools with many local secondary schools having specialist status and good records of achievement. Further education is provided by North Herts College which has a brand new state of the art complex in Stevenage
Assistance and Support For New Business Investors
Attracting new businesses to Stevenage is a high priority for the Council and the Economic Development Unit is committed to the following activities:-
- Providing a website that reflects the unique advantages of Stevenage with local companies providing case studies
- A practical, responsive and flexible service for inward investors
- Providing commercial property information for commercial property in Hertfordshire, site identification and site visits and development and planning advice and support. They also help with finding sector-specific accommodation in life science clusters, information technology parks, information technology clusters.
- Providing general information and advice through a network of local contacts e.g PR/Marketing
- Working with local companies on joint promotional events etc.
- Comprehensive support for new business start-ups
- After care support including a regular Economic & Business E-Bulletin
For practical help and advice or any questions about the area or the support available please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01438 241507.
Existing Business Base
There are approx 2700 businesses within the area and whilst there are some significant sectors represented in Stevenage such as aerospace, defence and pharmaceuticals other industries have also been attracted to the area over the years creating a strong and diverse business base with a higher than average percentage of jobs in the knowledge sector.
Stevenage’s impressive business community now spans construction, advanced engineering and aerospace, information technology, pharmaceuticals, financial services, environemtnal industries and creative and media.
The number of companies now in stevenage has created one of the largest employment centres in Hertfordshire, located within very easy reach of Junctions 7 and 8 of the A1(M), and including a 4000sqm Business & Technology Centre dedicated to enterprise, innovation and the growth of knowledge and technology businesses.